Does lack of guarantor complicate and delay release Canadian passport?
November 28, 2006 8:52 AM   Subscribe

I am a canadian citizen applying for a canadian passport, but I don't personally know any person eligible to serve as a guarantor, unless "personally" is legally defined more loosely than I imagine. Have you had any experience applying for a canadian passport with a "Statutory Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor", and was the process complicated and delayed by the lack of guarantor?
posted by jchgf to Law & Government (12 answers total)
Not at all. I've done it a number of times, IIRC... there is just an extra little trip to a notary public, and his charge.
posted by Meatbomb at 8:55 AM on November 28, 2006

Response by poster: Href links are not allowed on AskMe posts?

I linked the first instance of the word "guarantor" to this page from Passport Canada about the eligibility of a person to serve as a guarantor, but it only shows as a strong tag on the actual post.
posted by jchgf at 8:58 AM on November 28, 2006

dude, you typed "a href:http..." (yes, a colon) instead of "a href=..."
posted by notsnot at 9:04 AM on November 28, 2006

Yup, from what I understand it's just a matter of paying the fee to get your statutory declaration, then dropping in your application the same way. For this reason I find it extremely dumb that you need a guarantor to get a passport.
posted by antifuse at 9:15 AM on November 28, 2006

I've had to do it before in a rush and went to a local legal aid office. I think I waited about an hour and it cost $60.
posted by dripdripdrop at 9:15 AM on November 28, 2006

unless "personally" is legally defined more loosely than I imagine

If, for example, you have a regular doctor, vet etc, s/he can serve as a guarantor if you've been visiting them for two years or more.
posted by different at 9:25 AM on November 28, 2006

I just did this recently. I went to city hall and got a commissioner of oaths to sign for $25 as opposed to the $70 it would have cost me to get a notary public. You need a special form for your person in lieu of guarantor to sign (PPTC 132). They had this at Kingston city hall, but you can also call Passport Canada and get them to send you one if you're not within a reasonable distance to pick one up at a Passport Canada office. This form isn't available at the post office, nor can you submit your passport application at the post office. You have to either submit it at a Passport Canada office or mail it in. I submitted mine at the Ottawa Passport Canada office at the end of October and had it in hand in under 10 business days. (I think there's a bit more of a delay at this time of year.) The only complications that getting someone to sign in lieu of guarantor were: both my references were contacted as I had no guarantor, and I didn't realize until the last minute that only attorneys, notaries public, or commissioners of oaths can sign in this capacity. Otherwise, it was a very easy process.
posted by flying kumquat at 9:38 AM on November 28, 2006

Personally doesn't mean 'is my close friend', it more means 'has met me in person'. The principal of your kids school can't sign for you because he knows your kid, but if you've had a few meetings with him because your kid is a badass, then he could. Similarly, you don't have to be friends with your doctor or lawyer, as long as they're your doctor or lawyer and have had face to face appointments with you in the past few years.

They have to be able to truthfully sign a statement saying 'the picture I'm looking at matches with the person I know as "your name"', basically. The individuals in the lists are ones who have jobs or certifications that can be held over their heads if they lie and just sign for joe blow off the street.
posted by jacquilynne at 9:40 AM on November 28, 2006

Now that I think about it, I should add that you can't get the PPTC 132 form online.

Also, because the person in lieu of guarantor has to write something extra on the back of the passport photo (something along the lines of "this is exhibit A, and I certify that is looks like the applicant, etc"), it can sometimes interfere with the stamp that passport photo places put on the back of one of their photos. What happened in my situation is that the person in lieu of guarantor wrote over the photo place's name and address (which you NEED) to write this little blurb in. If this happens, it's alright to have stamp on the back of the second picture (i.e. one picture doesn't have to be blank on the back). My photo place was very reluctant to do this as they though it would invalidate my application, but the people at Passport Canada said it was just fine.
posted by flying kumquat at 9:46 AM on November 28, 2006

(The original poster is resident in Canada, but anyone looking at this thread for advice should note that if you are a citizen not resident in Canada, then the list of qualified guarantors is different.

For example, if you are a US resident applying for a Canadian passport renewal, a principal cannot be your guarantor. If you live in Canada then a principal can be your guarantor. Always check the government of Canada website for the current rules.)
posted by lockedroomguy at 10:25 AM on November 28, 2006

You don't have a doctor you can use? Or an accountant or lawyer where you work maybe?
posted by chunking express at 11:14 AM on November 28, 2006

In Calgary there is a tiny passport photo and commisionare of oaths office right across the street from the passport office. Close enough that I was able to slip out between the precheck and the actual check of documents to get my photo retaken. I'd bet there is a similiar match in Montreal, the pairng is a natural one and the office I went to was doing a brisk business.
posted by Mitheral at 7:41 PM on November 28, 2006

« Older "It is not love that is blind, but jealousy."   |   Broker/agent recommendations for Jersey City... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.