What the heck is a "Chi-ron"?
October 17, 2006 1:18 PM   Subscribe

In last night's episode of Studio 60, Cal mentioned something sounding like Chi-ron (or Kai ron) as part of the preshow checklist they were running through. I remember hearing this same word a few times on Sports Night. What is it?

Obviously it's some component of television production, but is it a light? A camera? A recording device? I've looked through a half dozen glossaries of video and television terms with no luck, and it's hard to google something you don't know how to spell or even describe. Please help!
posted by rorycberger to Media & Arts (5 answers total)
Best answer: Chyron
posted by smackfu at 1:19 PM on October 17, 2006

Best answer: The Chiron is the graphics program that puts text at the bottom or wherever on a screen. Or at least that's what it was when I worked in television. I think. It's been a while.
posted by spicynuts at 1:20 PM on October 17, 2006

Response by poster: Thanks for the quick responses!
posted by rorycberger at 1:40 PM on October 17, 2006

Funny you should mention Sports Night, I was just watching it on dvd last night - what a great show that was!
posted by platinum at 1:57 PM on October 17, 2006

The Chyron is the gizmo that writes "Mark Foley D-FL" on the Fox News screen.
posted by La Cieca at 2:21 PM on October 17, 2006

« Older Staff appreciation event on a (tiny) budget   |   Give up on a lost cat? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.