Shower drain stinks when in use
October 4, 2021 2:31 PM Subscribe
Around 5 to 10 minutes of showering, a sewer gas smell starts to come out of the shower drain. There's no detectable smell before turning on the water and it goes away after a short while after turning off the water (but not instantly). What could be causing this and how do I fix it?
- This is a walk-in shower stall. This is the main shower used, usually multiple times a day.
- The drain doesn't smell at all before the shower is used, even sticking my nose right next to the drain. However when in use, the smell is definitely coming from the drain. The smell is concentrated by the drain at the center bottom of the shower and can't be smelled outside the stall (unless you open the door).
- The sewer-y smell usually starts after the water has been running for about 5 or 10 minutes and does go away after the shower has been off for a little while, maybe an hour?
- Flushing the toilet in that bathroom before or after the shower doesn't seem to make a difference.
- This is either iron or PVC plumbing, not exactly sure.
- The water smells and tastes fine, including the rest of the house. This is an area with soft water and no sulphur smell or taste.
- The shower/bath in the other bathroom doesn't have this issue, but it's rarely used. As far as I can tell none of the other sink drains in the house smell.