What songs should I learn on my baby accordion?

I’ve been messing around with a small piano key accordion- it has about an octave and a half of keys and 8 chords that kind of work. So far I’ve learned the first bit of ‘le vie en rose’ but what other songs are fun and recognizable for this instrument? I can read music as I played violin as a kid but chords are kind of mysterious to me. Any genre of music is fine, although I’m not a huge fan of Celtic/Irish traditional stuff.
posted by genmonster to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (3 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Shenandoah

(Alternate model version)
posted by bertran at 4:26 PM on September 15

Kalinka! And then hit up the rest of Eastern Europe and Russian folk, the spiritual home of the accordion.
posted by Fiasco da Gama at 5:30 PM on September 15

Have you seen the film Amelie? Yann Tiersen's superb soundtrack for it features the accordion heavily. The main theme was the first thing I played on mine :)
posted by greenish at 2:38 AM on September 16

« Older Do you buy a house before or after starting a new...   |   Uncomfortable Attending and traveling for Wedding... Newer »