Scissors Filter
March 15, 2006 7:09 PM   Subscribe

What do you call this type of scissors?

My wife has these scissors that claim they were made in India, and since they were purchased in a store that only sells things from India, she's inclined to believe them.

Unfortunately, they worked better before I used them to open a box, and I'd like to buy another pair for her.
posted by bshort to Shopping (17 answers total)
I'd call them "shears", like as in sheep.
posted by Rock Steady at 7:10 PM on March 15, 2006

posted by DieHipsterDie at 7:16 PM on March 15, 2006

I mean yes, they are indeed sheep shears.
posted by DieHipsterDie at 7:17 PM on March 15, 2006

I don't think they're sheep shears. They're only a little over four inches long.

Does anyone know where I could get a replacement pair of whatever-these-are?
posted by bshort at 7:24 PM on March 15, 2006

They're for snipping threads in sewing. Any sewing store will have them, no need to travel to India.
posted by jellicle at 7:24 PM on March 15, 2006

Might be able to have them sharpened?

If not, they range about $14-$20 online.
posted by jerseygirl at 7:24 PM on March 15, 2006

Oh, and I think they're usually called "snips" rather than scissors.
posted by jellicle at 7:30 PM on March 15, 2006

I've seen them in stores in Chinatown. You might try a general store there.
posted by phoenixc at 7:31 PM on March 15, 2006

Funny, the sheep shears thing. But he's looking for thread snips, not sheep shears.
posted by jellicle at 7:32 PM on March 15, 2006

Thanks jellicle! That's exactly what I'm looking for.

Thank you all for helping solve this little domestic dilemma.
posted by bshort at 7:38 PM on March 15, 2006

They look like bonsai scissors to me

Here's a pair for sale.
posted by spork at 7:44 PM on March 15, 2006

They look like the right size for thread shears (go to page 2200 and scroll down) also known as thread clips.
posted by TedW at 7:48 PM on March 15, 2006

Oops-walked away for a few minutes before posting and see that jellicle scooped me!
posted by TedW at 7:50 PM on March 15, 2006

Wow, they sure look like sheep shears to me. Check out a couple sheep equipment supply stores.
posted by DieHipsterDie at 8:55 PM on March 15, 2006

Then again, I may be completely wrong.
posted by DieHipsterDie at 8:56 PM on March 15, 2006

There's no reason they can't be sharpened. Unless they're sheep shears or something.
posted by Kirth Gerson at 4:23 AM on March 16, 2006

I first saw those one-piece scissors in Japan (and I've seen little one-inch models in sewing kits). Hasami is Japanase for scissors, or maybe just that type of scissors?
posted by Rash at 9:30 AM on March 16, 2006

« Older Big-budget films   |   Looking for the name of an Indian musician. Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.