Help for wrist/tendon pain when playing guitar
November 17, 2018 9:03 PM Subscribe
I play piano, and am trying to learn guitar. When playing even for a few minutes, I have wrist and tendon pain in my left (fretting) hand. What should I do?
- I've been a desk jockey for 20 years, but minimize the impact of typing and mousing by using a split keyboard and a trackball.
- I exercise regularly, and feel like my grip, though strong, (pull ups, swinging on bars) no longer has the endurance it had previously.
- I've looked at this guy, and his main advice is to ice your tendons every day.
- I don't have the issue of sore fingers or tired hands that some beginners have - it's pain running along my tendons.
- I also have trouble getting my left hand in to the proper position for fretting - specifically placement of the thumb on the back of the neck. I have trouble keeping the thumb flat.