Multi-room speaker setup for dummies
October 31, 2018 3:07 PM Subscribe
I like streaming music at home and have been making do with this little portable bluetooth speaker. I'd like to upgrade to a multi-room system with better sound quality. This one is tinny, especially at higher volumes. There are way too many options, Google isn't helping me narrow them, and aside from the speaker linked above, the last audio equipment I bought was a boombox I bought with my high school graduation money. (My 25th reunion has long passed.) What do I want to buy?
- I stream music primarily from my Samsung phone, although I also have a Roku.
- It seems like wireless is less limiting than Bluetooth (i.e., over wireless, my phone wouldn't have to be within a certain range of a speaker)?
- I'd like to have a speaker in my large-ish living room, my kitchen (which is cut off from the rest of the house), and my bedroom.
- I'd also like to be able to turn each of those on and off.
- Sound quality is my main motivator, but I'd also like to get away from having to move the phone and speaker from room-to-room.
- I have a very good WiFi connection.
- I don't need Alexa or Google voice controls, but I'm not opposed to them either.
- I'm willing to spend ~$200-ish out-of-pocket. I also have $150 in Target gift cards that I could contribute towards something fancier (but I don't need anything top of the line).
- Not looking for booming base or mad volume -- just better sound and less inconvenience.
- I'd like to find something available at Target, Costco, or Amazon.