Mystery white compound/substance on car?
May 15, 2017 7:12 PM   Subscribe

So I fell for one of those parking lot dent-repair scams. My dent is actually gone, but I am left with a strange white substance that the guy sprayed on my car that is a mother to get off. Anyone know what this stuff could possibly be and the best way to remove it?
posted by shotgunbooty to Grab Bag (3 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
Oh no! Live and learn. That stuff is likely a wax and will be best removed with a heat gun or hair dryer and a microfiber cloth. But it may require sanding or machine bufffing, if not new paint.

And bad news... Your dent is likely.not "gone," it's just under all that wax. Or did he actually use a dent puller?

You likely need to take it to a proper body shop anyway. Usually those parking lot guys do more damage than repair. You'll need to repaint the area when the compound is off, almost guaranteed.
posted by spitbull at 9:26 PM on May 15, 2017

Not sure what you've already tried but maybe Goo Gone would work.
posted by AppleTurnover at 10:40 PM on May 15, 2017

I'd be careful about using GooGone or any acid on a car's painted surfaces. Try a small area first.
posted by spitbull at 2:56 AM on May 16, 2017 [1 favorite]

« Older White House Oval Office conversations   |   Maybe if the augmentation is a hammer for smashing... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.