Can't install Ubuntu on new Lenovo

I just got a new Lenovo laptop with Windows 8 and I want to install Ubuntu on it but so far it hasn't worked.

I've created a bootable USB using unetbootin (on a Mac) and Startup Disk creator (on Ubuntu 14.04). I've tried to install the desktop 63 bit versions of 14.04 and 16.04 this way on a sanDisk cruzer blade 8 GB and a PNY 32 GB usb drive. I've disabled Secure Boot in BIOS. Most of the time, I get the ubuntu screen with the dots, but they stop changing color after a while and nothing else happens. Twice I have been able to use the option of trying ubuntu without installing, then installing from the link on the desktop. But when I try to re-start the computer, it doesn't shut down correctly (only a cursor is left on the screen, but it doesn't shut down). When I try to re-boot, first it gives me some blue screen that mentions UEFI (apologies for the sparse description, I couldn't remember exactly what it said and I can't re-create it), then I re-start it again and gives me the following messages:

/dev/sda2: clean, 184779/11444224 files, 1619008/45753088 blocks

which is usually followed by:

NMI watchdog BUG: soft lockup cpu#1 stuck for 22s!

After I ran the install for the first time, I realized that I don't have a Windows partition on the computer anymore, so it looks like I've lost the dual-boot functionality, but I still want to install Ubuntu if I can.
posted by stinker to Computers & Internet (10 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

not very specific, sorry, but the last time i had problems installing on a lenovo it was because i seemed to have to disable uefi in two places in the bios. i can't remember details, but it was very frustrating. so i would poke around in bios and see if there's something else you need to do to disable secure boot / uefi beyond what you have done.

(although i thought these days distros did support secure boot anyway).
posted by andrewcooke at 5:48 AM on June 12, 2016

Did you repartition the whole drive? UEFI might have it's own little partition that is now missing?

Or can you restore and then shrink the win8 partition first?
posted by nickggully at 6:18 AM on June 12, 2016

Try adding acpi=off noapic nolapic to the kernel command line in grub.

(Based on googling for "NMI watchdog BUG: soft lockup cpu")
posted by joeyh at 6:46 AM on June 12, 2016 [2 favorites]

If you don't get lasting joy here, suggest you head over to ubuntuforums and look there
posted by Mister Bijou at 10:29 AM on June 12, 2016 [1 favorite]

Try installing the newest version of Ubuntu, 16.04. If your computer is new, the hardware support available in the newer kernel may help.
posted by vasi at 12:37 PM on June 12, 2016

I recently installed Ubuntu 16.04 on a laptop, and I had a similar boot problem (though not the exact same boot error). If you can boot into Ubuntu using the "Try Ubuntu without installing," then I'd suggest that you use the Ubuntu Boot-Repair tool. You'll have to install it ( use the second option for "Getting Boot-Repair" in the link), and then let the boot-repair run the "recommended repairs." If that doesn't fix your problem, you'll be able to create a paste-bin with specific information that you can share with advanced users to help diagnose the specific problem.

I'd also recommend the Ubuntu IRC as a place to get quick answers.
posted by geryon at 1:11 PM on June 12, 2016

Seconding this. The computer refusing to turn off hints that you might be having ACPI problems (ACPI is the feature that lets the OS reboot/restart the PC).

I imagine this will break the "sleep" feature, however.

Try installing the newest version of Ubuntu, 16.04.

Also this. Running an LTS distribution on a brand-new laptop is a bit foolhardy. 14.04 is two years old by now and some of your hardware might be newer than that.
posted by neckro23 at 3:47 PM on June 12, 2016 [3 favorites]

This is going to be deeply unhelpful because I'm not terribly tech savvy, but I have a Lenovo and it was a PITA to get Ubuntu on it. I did eventually, but then Ubuntu didn't have the driver for the shitty Lenovo wifi card.

So, get ready for the chance of that happening. I wound up getting an external wifi dongle until I replace the wifi card.
posted by jpe at 4:50 PM on June 12, 2016

Just to add credence to installing >14.04, google Chrome no longer supports 14.04.if you use chrome as your browser,youve gotta go higher than 14.04
posted by czytm at 5:44 AM on June 13, 2016

czytm: "google Chrome no longer supports 14.04"

I'm running the current version of Chrome on 14.04 right now. Maybe it's 12.04 they dropped?
posted by vasi at 7:35 AM on June 14, 2016

« Older Link me to more cunning linguists.   |   Single mom building a business- $50K in bank- what... Newer »