What are these jewelry findings/medal components called?
May 27, 2016 7:04 PM   Subscribe

...and where can I buy them? Jewelry/trophy/award makers of MetaFilter, I'm hoping you know some standard trade term to describe these two different components of medals/ceremonial jewels that are typically worn pinned to the left breast.

The first is a pinbar, but the bar itself forms a decorate top for the medal, with a separate bar in the back for the ribbon to hang on:

Photo: Fancy pinbar

The second is also a pinbar, but it's more decorative and has eyelets allowing chains to be suspended from it:

Photo: Decorative pinbar

I've been searching various jewelry, trophy, and militaria sites for components like these and coming up empty-handed with utilitarian pinbars of the sort that are usually just glued to the back of stuff. I figure there's got to be some magic search phrase that's eluding me. I'm not looking for precious metals or anything, and I'm hoping to buy plain versions these (no text or engraving) in modest quantities (like, 10 or 20 at a time versus 100 or 200 at a time.) Any leads would be greatly appreciated - thanks!
posted by usonian to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (2 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
Bar pin or pin back findings are good search terms. You'll find vintage ones on Etsy. Fire Mountain Gems will have base metal and sterling, Rio Grande might have gold.
posted by ersatzkat at 7:34 PM on May 27, 2016

Have you tried searching for something like "military pin bar supply"?
posted by MandaSayGrr at 11:20 PM on May 27, 2016

« Older Lunch me!   |   What to do with 3 full drums of diesel fuel? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.