Help me find work in the US
May 10, 2015 2:21 AM   Subscribe

Having just come back from visiting family in a few different states, I'm now beginning to feel that their suggestions for me to move closer to them might be a good idea. I'm from the UK and wouldn't move without a job, so where can I find potential employers who would take me seriously and not think I was too much of a hassle before they'd even read my resume? Are there any particular jobs boards for this type of thing? I would also consider a temporary move.

I was born and raised in London, England and the vast majority of my family are now based in the United States.

My background was originally in classical music performance, but I was lucky (smart?) enough to have also got into publishing and project management from very early on in my 10+ years career. Many of my peers have had to return to college or start from scratch when in similar situations.

I have no relationship ties and almost all of my friends have moved out of London and/got married and have young children so missing friends isn't an issue - I already do!

Current location ideas based on family/friends: San Diego, Los Angeles, Houston, Chicago, Ohio.
posted by joboe to Work & Money (10 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
Do you have a US passport (or are you entitled to one based on the status of any of your relatives)?
posted by cilantro at 2:50 AM on May 10, 2015

How close are your family members? In particular, are your parents or siblings permanent legal residents or citizens? If so you can petition for a visa to immigrate permanently, though you will still have to wait some time (years) for a visa.

Sadly I can't offer any help to your real question, i.e. how to look attractive enough to US employers to get them to sponsor an employment visa.
posted by crazy with stars at 4:25 AM on May 10, 2015

Best answer: If you can get an "in" with a multi-country company, then it's far easier to transfer.

In your case, I'd look at Allianz. I know they have an office in Chicago, and the head actuary there is also a concert-level (or something equivalently high?) pianist.
posted by Ms Vegetable at 6:10 AM on May 10, 2015 [1 favorite]

Response by poster: My siblings have various levels of status through work or marriage but none are in a position to sponsor me yet. It's mostly extended family out there for me.

Thanks, Ms Veg - I'll look into multi-national companies further. I hadn't considered that there would be any in fields I'm experienced in but it's worth looking.
posted by joboe at 6:38 AM on May 10, 2015

This can be tough to do if you don't go through a multinational company. Another option is to go to school in the US (if that's desirable/affordable) and then from there try to figure out a job/extended visa/etc.
posted by caoimhe at 8:30 AM on May 10, 2015 [1 favorite]

Best answer: With your Project Management background, also consider looking into Expedia. They often move folks to the States, and always seem to have job openings in the UK.
posted by dbmcd at 8:58 AM on May 10, 2015

Do you have a bachelor's degree? If so, three year or four year? Is it in a field at all related to your project management work?

If you do get a job with a company with offices in the United States, understand that you will have to be employed in the foreign office for a full year before they would be able to transfer you. And, of course, they would have to be willing and able to transfer you.
posted by good lorneing at 11:41 AM on May 10, 2015 [1 favorite]

Oh, point being that if you don't have at least a bachelor's degree your ability to transfer to the United States even if you land employment with a multinational organization. Also IANAL, etc.
posted by good lorneing at 11:44 AM on May 10, 2015

Response by poster: I have a 4 year bachelor of music degree with honours - not sure how that translates.

Much of my previous experience was in publishing, with some multimedia work before a move to digital in the past couple years.
posted by joboe at 12:02 PM on May 10, 2015

Doing a further degree in the US (eg a Masters) will get you work rights for a year after your studies, provided you work in the same field as your degree. You can use that year to convince an employer to sponsor you to stay longer. Masters don't tend to be cheap over here, and scholarships are rare, so you would need to either have cash up front or be prepared to take out loans.
If this is something you're interested in pursuing, you should look into F1 visas and their 'Optional Practical Training' (OPT) component. Note that the F1 is a "non-immigrant visa" i.e. you can be asked to demonstrate that you don't intend to immigrate permanently in order to be granted it.
posted by une_heure_pleine at 5:38 PM on May 10, 2015 [1 favorite]

« Older I want more strangeness.   |   Given the recent UK election outcome, which career... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.