How do I wear this women's hat?
December 4, 2014 3:49 PM   Subscribe

What is the proper way to wear a women's hat that is gathered at the back and tall in the front, with a brim? And what is this type of hat called?

I found an adorable vintage hat the other day, but trying to add it to an outfit I realize that I have no idea how you're supposed to wear it! I don't know the name of the hat style so I have come up empty with Google.

Here is my best description of the hat: The material is felt. The back is gathered, sort of like the front of a golf cap/driving cap, sans brim. The front is about 5 inches tall. There is a curved brim in the front, (11 across and 2 wide in the center). The brim doesn't stick out too much, mostly it hangs down. The top of the cap is a flat circle.

Does anyone know the way this hat is meant to be worn? My natural impulse is to wear it backwards or sideways like I would a baseball cap, but that doesn't seem to match the style of the hat.
posted by chocolatemilkshakes to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (10 answers total)
Do you have a picture of it?
posted by discopolo at 3:53 PM on December 4, 2014

Here are shots of the front, back, side. Please pardon the poor quality.
posted by chocolatemilkshakes at 4:07 PM on December 4, 2014

60s mod?
posted by TWinbrook8 at 4:12 PM on December 4, 2014 [5 favorites]

Definitely 60s. Looks like the back may have collapsed a bit. Check out the black hat in this pic, and here.
posted by ananci at 4:19 PM on December 4, 2014 [2 favorites]

Looks similar to the very popular cloche style in the 1930s
posted by a humble nudibranch at 4:19 PM on December 4, 2014

60s mod seems plausible, but however it was originally meant to be worn, it's going on you in 2014, so I'd just play with it and see what looks good. I think perfect historical accuracy is only important for costume parties; "inspired by" is good enough/better most of the time, imo.

That peak at the centre makes me think of service, though, maybe something related to the military (or air force - from a humble nudibranch's link above) or Red Cross, something like that.
posted by cotton dress sock at 4:49 PM on December 4, 2014 [1 favorite]

That is a cute hat!

Similar hats being worn:

Juliet Berto

Anna Karina
posted by kinddieserzeit at 5:37 PM on December 4, 2014

It's a cloche-style hat from the '60s. They come back every so often, and the last big surge (according to Elle) was in 2007.
posted by klangklangston at 6:32 PM on December 4, 2014

It's not a cloche, it's too floppy at the crown, whereas cloches are fitted or structured at the crown, like these. The construction is a little bit like a cadet hat, although the crown looks bigger than those too. I think you should wear it with the brim straight on, and if the crown wants to slouch, let it slouch toward the back of your head a little.
posted by clavicle at 8:10 PM on December 4, 2014 [1 favorite]

« Older Friend upset with me for asking her for financial...   |   Seattle visit in January - How to get around... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.