Finding evidence submitted to Congressional Subcommittee
November 19, 2014 2:53 PM   Subscribe

How do I find evidence submitted along with a written statement to a Congressional Subcommitee? For instance, if the Subcommitee on Oversight and Investigation held a hearing on a matter and the record reflects that outside witnesses submitted written statements with exhibits, can I find those on-line at a source other than the subcommitte's page for the hearing?

I looked on the webpage for the particular hearing and saw a transcript and docket and the written statements themselves, but it did not include the exhibits that are referenced in the transcript and written statements. In short, the information I am looking for was submitted to the subcomittee but not linked on the subcommitee's page for the hearing.

So is there some other source that these types of things are included on?

I am aware I could go the FOIA route, but I am more curious about whether something is accessible via the web without having to go the FOIA route. Thanks.
posted by dios to Law & Government (6 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
I think it might vary quite a bit depending on the particular committee and subcommittee. I would ask the law librarians at Congress.
posted by pantarei70 at 3:55 PM on November 19, 2014

The way I've done this was by contacting the chair of the hearing, but I was also in his district which may have made a difference.
posted by klangklangston at 5:04 PM on November 19, 2014

Have you checked the Government Printing Office's Federal Digital System?

FYI: You can't go the FOIA route: Congress exempted itself.
posted by JackBurden at 5:40 PM on November 19, 2014

I would literally just call the committee and ask. If you like, call yourself a researcher or journalist, and ask for the documents entered into the record at that hearing and which don't seem to be on the website. They should be able to point you in the right direction.
posted by Inkoate at 9:28 PM on November 19, 2014

Yeah, call the committee office and/or the Law Library of Congress--there are good people who staff the phones who will know the definitive answer.
posted by MrMoonPie at 7:43 AM on November 20, 2014

Response by poster: Good advice. I'll run a couple of these traps and see if any of them turn up the information.

Thanks much for your time and thoughts.
posted by dios at 9:15 AM on November 20, 2014

« Older How do you say Zbornak in French?   |   I would like to find somebody to evaluate some... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.