Where can I buy sheets of glass that look like antique "crown glass"?
August 25, 2014 11:15 PM   Subscribe

I would like to purchase a window sized (45"x28") sheet of glass that looks like the glass in this stock photo. Who sells it?

It is not especially important to me that the glass be authentic crown glass produced by traditional glassblowing techniques, I just want the look of a grid of smallish evenly-sized rippled or lensed circles in a large sheet of glass suitable for glazing a sash window in a house (though it would be cool if the real stuff were somehow available at an unexorbitant price.)

I'm in Southern California and could visit a glass shop in LA if you know of a particular store or architectural salvage place that sells this kind of thing.
posted by contraption to Home & Garden (5 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
I don't think what's in your picture is crown glass, but something more modern and mass produced. My grandfather's house had windows with a similar texture, but with green glass. The house was built in the 20s. I'm trying to search for something similar on Google and I'm not coming up with much.
posted by zsazsa at 11:26 PM on August 25, 2014

My Australian leadlight friend says this glass should be available from any leadlight glass supplier. Try looking for decorative glass suppliers in your area or contact a leadlighter and ask where they buy their sheets of decorative glass.
posted by Kerasia at 12:51 AM on August 26, 2014

These people have tons of reclaimed windows and can probably help you out. They're in NC, but they do ship.
posted by odinsdream at 5:24 AM on August 26, 2014

A previous AskMe with some additional search terms and history.
posted by misterbrandt at 7:04 AM on August 26, 2014 [1 favorite]

Bendheim sells crown glass. "Unexorbitant" --- well, no, not really.
posted by slenderloris at 10:12 AM on August 26, 2014

« Older Hostels in Tokyo and Kyoto   |   Lease or buy a car for business use? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.