What's the term for this vocal style?
April 10, 2014 9:07 AM   Subscribe

What's the term for the vocal style in the bit from 0:55 to 1:18 in this cover of Happy?
posted by stebulus to Media & Arts (3 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
She has a style with a lot of rasp and growl. It's something Christina Aguilera does a lot, so looking for stuff about her style might get you closer?
posted by brainmouse at 9:25 AM on April 10, 2014

I had this same question last year after listening to a Carly Rae Jepsen live acoustic performance (she does it at 1:58). It made me curious because she almost does it at the same part of the refrain at 1:42. I can't tell if she's trying to do it or not.

The answer, from what I can tell, is "vocal growl." Epitomized by Mariah Carey here.
posted by mullacc at 9:51 AM on April 10, 2014 [1 favorite]

Vocal fry.
posted by Specklet at 7:38 PM on April 10, 2014

« Older Happy hooping playlist needed.   |   We have May 2-5 off. Please help us escape New... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.