Is there another name for complex developmental/behavioural conditions?
March 13, 2014 12:49 PM   Subscribe

Is CDBC used outside of BC or is there another term for complex developmental and behavioural conditions?

Someone I know is a child who has had his collection of health issues classified as complex developmental & behavioural conditions. This is, from what I can tell, not a DSM classification, but a way of describing a complex set of medical problems. But when I search for this, I only have results for British Columbia (where we all live) come up. Is there another way of describing this? Their child's medical team said that we are at the stage of understanding this that perhaps we were at with autism a decade or two ago.

What is this called in other parts of the world or even Canada? BC seem to have a medical centre at BC Children's Hospital / Sunny Hill devoted to CDBC. But surely this is not the only place in the world....right?

posted by acoutu to Health & Fitness (12 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
The description of CDBC online sounds like what we call Developmental Disability in the US.
posted by Nickel at 1:31 PM on March 13, 2014

Specficially the list here:

"Complex Developmental Behavioural Conditions is a term used to describe significant difficulties that may affect an individual in multiple areas of functioning, such as learning and development, mental health and behaviour, adaptive and social skills. It also includes FASD (Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder), Complex Child and Youth (CCY): ADHD, ADD, etc. and Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)."

Overlaps with this one here:

CDC’s National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities has information on certain developmental disabilities. Click on the following links to learn more:
Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder

Autism Spectrum Disorders

Cerebral Palsy

Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders

Fragile X Syndrome

Hearing Loss

Intellectual Disability


Muscular Dystrophy

Tourette Syndrome

Vision Impairment

posted by Nickel at 1:38 PM on March 13, 2014

I've never heard of CDBC, so thanks Nickel for the definition.

Around here (Ontario) I've heard various terms used to describe children in that situation, probably most commonly "special needs" (broad term, sometimes includes kids with very manageable issues) or "developmentally disabled/delayed" (usually describes kids with more severe problems). Or just the specific disorder(s), if only one or a few are present. My sister has told me that she wants to be a teacher for "special needs kids", for example. I'm not sure if there's a more technical term used by psychologists/medical teams here, though.
posted by randomnity at 1:49 PM on March 13, 2014

Global developmental delay is a broad term some of my students have in their files (and used by their doctors) to describe intellectual disability combined with delays in all or multiple areas of functioning. I live in the US.
posted by Aranquis at 2:04 PM on March 13, 2014

Oh I forgot. We also use the term multiple disabilities to describe intellecctual disability combined with ADD, autism, non-ambulatory, blindness, any other disorder that affects their education enough to be an issue on its own. For example, for these 3 year reports done my students parents choose the MD classification. I am considered to work in a MD classroom (versus a CI - cognitive impairment- classroom where they don't have the additional disorder on top of their intellectual disability).
posted by Aranquis at 2:11 PM on March 13, 2014

I see "global developmental delay" or just "developmental delay" used quite frequently in UK healthcare settings.

From this review article written by authors based in Glasgow:

"Global delay can be defined as significant delay in two or more developmental domains: gross and fine motor; speech and language; cognition; personal and social development; or activities of daily living"
posted by *becca* at 2:25 PM on March 13, 2014

It sounds similar to PDD-NOS.
posted by The corpse in the library at 2:30 PM on March 13, 2014 [2 favorites]

I was going to say Pervasive Developmental Disability but The corpse in the library beat me to it.

Maybe also Neurodevelopmental Disorder?

Keep in mind that Developmental Disability is not the same thing as Intellectual Disability. Developmental Disability can occur in people with average or high IQs.
posted by dchrssyr at 2:56 PM on March 13, 2014 [1 favorite]

I am a registered nurse (in the US) and take care of pediatric and adult patients with developmental delays - a general, umbrella term used for people with cognitive and physical disabilities that are usually lifelong. The terminology 'Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities' (I/DD) is often used in professional organizations and research. From the American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities' FAQ, this is a great summary of intellectual disabilities, developmental disabilities, and how the two can overlap. On preview, what dchrssyr mentioned.
posted by sealee at 4:34 PM on March 13, 2014

Thanks. I am wondering if the term is unique to BC. The Ministry of Education references it

If this isn't a real term, how would you know when a child has CDBC and when they just have a series of conditions? (DM me for details.)
posted by acoutu at 10:19 PM on March 13, 2014

It sounds like CDBC is a set of conditions or behaviors and not something that can be diagnosed with, say, a blood test, so that might not be a useful distinction.
posted by The corpse in the library at 8:41 AM on March 14, 2014

Thanks. That's what I thought. :)
posted by acoutu at 6:12 PM on March 14, 2014

« Older "Ba da ba da ba bup"   |   Who is this hillbilly doll character? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.