Cute Top
March 1, 2014 7:16 PM   Subscribe

Women's fashion question: is there a name for this style of neckline?

This style is really flattering on me, and I want to pick up more items like it (not just bathing suits; this is just the best representation of it I could find). Is there a name for it? Or what terms I might use to look for it?
posted by Ideal Impulse to Shopping (5 answers total)
Best answer: Halter or Halterneck

Halters at Nordstrom
posted by Fairchild at 7:19 PM on March 1, 2014

Best answer: That is usually referred to as a 'jewel neckline' - it's different than a halter in that it doesn't usually "tie" or "fasten" at the back of the neck.

This guide to necklines is pretty handy, too.
posted by dotgirl at 7:24 PM on March 1, 2014 [5 favorites]

Best answer: I think if you add "draped" to halter or jeweled neck, you'll see things that are closer to that neckline, as well.
posted by xingcat at 7:27 PM on March 1, 2014

Best answer: dotgirl is right and I realized that the top you posted does not fasten at neck.

I searched for "gathered neckline" and got similar top style you are looking for. Example here.

Also, "shirred top".
posted by Fairchild at 7:31 PM on March 1, 2014

Best answer: Another word you might look for, particular if you're considering making or buying someplace like Etsy is "pillowcase". That specific look where the fabric is gathered along a ribbon or a string is commonly called that in craftier circles.
posted by jacquilynne at 8:20 PM on March 1, 2014

« Older Would you go ahead with a trip to DC this coming...   |   Finding a housecleaner in Phoenix Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.