Stiff keys on MS Natural Keyboard - already cleaned it.

I use an ancient MS Natural Keyboard, but the main thing that's relevant here is the key mechanism. The Goog will show you models old and new. I recently took mine apart, cleaned the plastic parts with water, got it nice and clean (years of accumulated cookie crumbs, etc.) The problem is - now the keys are kind of stiff. For example, if I strike them at a slight angle, they don't depress as smoothly as before. The standard advice online is to clean a keyboard to prevent sticky keys, but I have the opposite problem. Is there some kind of lube/oil/spray I can use?
posted by 4midori to Technology (3 answers total)

Keyboard enthusiasts like lubes with teflon like this one, which is easily available. There are some more exotic lubricants out there (see this guide). You should be able to put a drip on each key stem, spreading it around with a brush for even coverage without getting things too goopy.
posted by zsazsa at 11:23 AM on December 30, 2013 [1 favorite]

Go find the silicone spray in the automotive department of wherever. Even the cheap stuff like you'd find at Walmart or NAPA works just dandy. I have 3 or 4 cans of this CRC Heavy Duty Silicone... I could never remember where I left the darn stuff when I needed it, and then we moved, and they finally got put in the same place!
posted by stormyteal at 4:13 PM on December 30, 2013

After trying all these tricks, I highly suggest you get a decent mechanical keyboard if you type more than one hour per day.
posted by zouhair at 5:40 PM on December 30, 2013

« Older Mac-less in Seattle (but hopefully not for long)   |   I'll Sample Anything Newer »