I want to replace a mortice lock but I don't know the model number
September 18, 2012 11:16 AM   Subscribe

I'd like to get an id of this Chubb mortice lock so I can buy a new one on Amazon.

A key to a lock has been lost and I need to either replace it or replace the levers inside. I was told that the last time this happened, the locksmith charged over €100 for the locksmith for replacing the levers.

The lock says "Chubb" and "5 LEVER" on the faceplate. The measurements were the same as this page (Backset 40mm, Case Size (mm): 76H x 67D).

Here's more photos

From looking on that lock site and Amazon UK, it seems like this is a standard lock type, called a 3G114. I was wondering if anyone could confirm this. Will I be able to replace mine with this one on Amazon? Is it even worth considering buying a lever set instead of just getting the whole lock? They don't seem any cheaper.
posted by nevan to Home & Garden (5 answers total)
Can you provide a picture of the door maybe? I am unclear on how the levers have anything to do with this lock, which appears to be a deadbolt lock, AKA totally separate from the door levers.

This deadbolt lock is keyed, and turning the key throws the deadbolt to lock the door. The door levers operate a strike, which hold the door closed, but have no key associated with them (or may have a separate keying mechanism, but again, different than the deadbolt). (if this is a US/UK door terminology issue, I apologize (apologise?))
posted by misterbrandt at 12:45 PM on September 18, 2012

@misterbrandt It must be a language mixup. The levers I'm talking about are the ones inside the lock. The things with springs on them that move when the key turns. Like the guy is replacing in this video. Maybe what you call a lever is what I call a handle?
posted by nevan at 1:28 PM on September 18, 2012

Ah, ok. I see now you said "the levers inside". Sorry about that. It may also be a technical/lay issue - I am an architect, so I deal with door hardware contractors a lot, and the industry term for a "handle", at least in the US, is a "lever".

If you can get a new mortise lock for the price of some parts, there is little downside (as long as you are confident that the newer lock isn't of cheaper construction/quality than the old). I can't speak to the compatibility of this specific hardware, unfortunately.
posted by misterbrandt at 1:45 PM on September 18, 2012

Don't bother with replacing the levers. That is insanity when the lock itself costs so little
Just go to Homebase/B&Q and buy a new one. Take the old one along so that you can compare the sizes and pick up the right one.
posted by tonylord at 1:58 PM on September 18, 2012

Thanks to everyone for the help.

In the end, I called up my local lock shop (who had previously replaced it for €120) and asked how much things cost. Here's the breakdown:

New lock: €51.50 (with 2 keys)
New lever set: €28.50 (with 2 keys)
Extra key: €5.50

The lock turned out to be a 3G115, the standard in Ireland. In Britain it's 3G114, so the one on Amazon mightn't have fitted.

The guy in the shop fitted the new lever set into my old lock. This was good, because if you mix up the order, it's difficult to make it work again. I asked him for the old lever set, and he put it on a keyring for me to keep it in order. I have about 5 keys for that set, so I can either use it in the future or give it to someone.

@tonylord: I usually would go to one of the big DIY shops, but it's a bit of a distance to get there and the lever set worked out cheap with less waste. I prefer going to a small local shop too. Next time I'm in a big DIY shop, I'll have a look at the price and compare.
posted by nevan at 5:51 AM on September 19, 2012

« Older "Marry me" in Marathi?   |   Need MacPro help in Austin Texas Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.