Bought a replica I bought a used of the HM Eames Lounge but it needs some improvements. Who can help me
June 9, 2012 7:33 PM   Subscribe

I bought a used "replica" of the Eames Lounge Chair. I got it home and I discovered its in quite a bit rougher shape than I thought. But the thing that annoys me about it is that it does not have a fixed recline as it should have, it actually tips a bit forward instead. Who can I pay to fix that? (what would such a persons job description be?)

So the main problem is that it tilts forward instead of back.
I had a look at the "bottom" part of the chair the metal stem
and the "legs". Now this part is quite rusty and doesnt work
as intended anymore. What I woud *love* is to replace the bottom
of the chair with something that I can adjust to have a fixed
reclined setting as the original has.

I have no idea where to look for such a part, or who I could pay
to fix it. What would I look up when I need my furniture "repaired"
or redone in some way? Is there anywhere I cold look for the bottom
part of the chair?
posted by digividal to Shopping (10 answers total)
What would I look up when I need my furniture "repaired"
or redone in some way?

You'd Google "furniture repair yourcity."

If you know people with nice furniture, ask around for recommendations.
posted by kmennie at 7:41 PM on June 9, 2012 [1 favorite]

Response by poster: Ok I will try that.

I am confused regarding regarding it.
I dont know if the chair is really broken
or if I just want it "upgraded"
posted by digividal at 8:06 PM on June 9, 2012

Just call some people up. Ask them if they can do what you want, and if not, bid them adieu and on to the next one!
posted by oceanjesse at 10:57 PM on June 9, 2012

Do you have a friend with a mechanical aptitude? I've never examined the underside of an Eames chair, but it sounds like it might be fairly obvious (to someone with the knack for mechanical stuff) what's wrong. If it's a sheet metal part that needs to be repaired / reinforced, an automotive body shop might be able to help you with that.
posted by jon1270 at 3:19 AM on June 10, 2012

Will this page help, from van dykes? Scroll down.

I repair furniture, if ya need more info lemme know.
posted by Max Power at 5:34 AM on June 10, 2012

Is there a place that sells midcentury modern furniture where you live? They may do repairs, but even if they don't, I'm pretty sure they'll have a list of people who do and can quickly answer your Eames questions in particular. The advantage of going through a shop is that it will help you find someone quickly who specializes in that kind of furniture and does a good enough job to work for the shop or be recommended or used by them.
posted by *s at 7:38 AM on June 10, 2012

Pictures of the chair might help.
posted by LarryC at 8:39 AM on June 10, 2012

I'm the "proud" owner of a fake Eames Lounge Chair. There's a rod that can be pushed in and locks the chair in either an un-reclined or reclined state. You have to lean back a bit to release the tension on the rod to be able to move it. Here are pictures of the rod: pushed in; pushed out. Hopefully yours has something similar.
posted by zsazsa at 9:10 AM on June 10, 2012

Oops, I messed up the pulled out link above.
posted by zsazsa at 9:21 AM on June 10, 2012

Response by poster: Hm. My chair does not have the rod.

I will try to take some pictures of the base of the chair and upload them.

Thank you all for your help so far :)
posted by digividal at 3:27 PM on June 10, 2012

« Older Crafting a momento from a hotel key card   |   I quit my job and am newly on an ssri Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.