I spy with my little eye something that is....plastic, spiky, full of holes
May 12, 2012 5:59 PM   Subscribe

What is this thing?

I picked this up because it intrigued me. But what is it? It's a shallow dish with a spiky plastic strainer on top. I know there's an obvious answer, but the appropriate search phrase eludes me. THanks.
posted by Mrs. Rattery to Food & Drink (6 answers total)
I'm pretty sure it's a food grater with a little cup attached. I've seen similar models in our Korean version of the dollar store.
posted by FakePalindrome at 6:03 PM on May 12, 2012 [1 favorite]

It is a grater and I mostly use it for daikon radish.
posted by jadepearl at 6:12 PM on May 12, 2012

It says おろし器付小鉢 in mirror image: small bowl with a grater.
posted by Nomyte at 6:44 PM on May 12, 2012

Yes, definitely a daikon grater. It might also be used for ginger, but I don't know the scale.
posted by WasabiFlux at 7:31 PM on May 12, 2012

Wonderful - thanks. It would never occur to me to grate anything in this, but now I know!
posted by Mrs. Rattery at 5:18 AM on May 13, 2012

These work really well, especially for ginger because you just get the gingery part and not the stringy part! You can do garlic, too, or anything you want reduced to a pulp.
Not good for cheese.
posted by exceptinsects at 4:16 PM on May 13, 2012

« Older What is this movie??   |   Best set-and-forget ROM for Droid Eris? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.