seeking the real name of a common U.S. roadside attraction
April 27, 2012 2:55 AM   Subscribe

is there an "official" name for those wonderful goofy pieces of plastic/wood with the faces cut out which you stand behind and put your face in the hole and then you look like a crazy moose or a milkmaid or a bikini babe and you get your picture taken and it's hi-larious?

honestly, the reason i'd like to know is so i can actively SEEK THEM OUT and have photographs of myself and my friends taken in them, or even create my own, because they are one of my favoritest things in the world.
posted by quiteliterally to Society & Culture (6 answers total) 7 users marked this as a favorite
"Peep through boards" is the term I've heard.
posted by pipeski at 3:22 AM on April 27, 2012

Stand In.
posted by fairmettle at 3:33 AM on April 27, 2012

Cut-out photo boards?
posted by MonkeyToes at 4:26 AM on April 27, 2012

"Mug board."
posted by argonauta at 6:13 AM on April 27, 2012

Previously, weirdly enough.
posted by oliverburkeman at 6:49 AM on April 27, 2012 [1 favorite]

oliverburkeman's link suggests that the formal, patented name is "comic foregrounds."
posted by MonkeyToes at 10:52 AM on April 28, 2012

« Older Amusia, not amusing...   |   Blogger legacy accounts. Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.