What is this gas grill fitting?
April 11, 2012 11:56 AM   Subscribe

What is this gas grill fitting? (the bright brass one at top with 3 orifices)

It is from a Weber gas grill that I believe is set up for Natural Gas. (don't be misled by the other fitting, which is a propane tank outlet) I was going to give the thing to a friend who has a NG outlet on his porch, but he says this won't fit. What have I got? Have called local grill dealers and talked to big box stores; they're all clueless.
posted by randomkeystrike to Home & Garden (7 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
Hard to say without more photos. Is that attached to the NG hose? Doesn't look like something that's stock Weber (granted, I haven't built Webers in 12 years).
posted by bfranklin at 12:10 PM on April 11, 2012

It looks like one half of a NG quick-connect. It would be difficult to find a match, so I'd remove it and replace it with a new fitting (either QC or threaded) that meets factory specs.
posted by buggzzee23 at 1:11 PM on April 11, 2012

Response by poster: bfranklin, it's attached to the hose which leads into the grill. This appears to be the terminal end, i.e. there were no other pieces and parts supplied with the grill (as I got it) to connect up to or with. My natural presumption would be that this is the end to connect to the gas supply.

My friend who has the NG supply connector says for his gas line to deliver gas, there has to be a bar on the end - I'm visualizing something like this. As buggzzee has said, it does appear to be a TYPE of natural gas quick disconnect, but I can't figure out why it's non-standard. I guess removing and replacing the fitting would make sense, but I'm trying to figure out if it's some standard type, for example NG at a different pressure, or something like that. I kind of hate to change out connectors without knowing what I'm doing.
posted by randomkeystrike at 1:49 PM on April 11, 2012

I was going to say it looks like the innards of a valve, but the innards of a quick-connect seem more plausible. Perhaps the connection was taken apart for some reason?
posted by Thorzdad at 1:55 PM on April 11, 2012

Honestly? I'd either a) call Weber, or b) go to your specialty local patio and grill store. The three ports don't look like any NG quick connect I've worked with, and I agree that arbitrarily changing fittings is not smart behavior.
posted by bfranklin at 5:55 AM on April 12, 2012

Response by poster: I've looked on the Weber web site and called their local dealer, along with some others. Everyone I've talked to and all the info I've looked at in those channels has been supremely unhelpful.

Thanks for the effort.
posted by randomkeystrike at 3:45 PM on April 12, 2012

Best answer: In that case, check the rest of the parts on the grill v the replacement numbers for that model. In particular, if your NG regulator and burner match the NG part numbers for weber, it's highly probable you can replace with a standard NG quick connect hose.
posted by bfranklin at 5:58 AM on April 14, 2012

« Older Let's not have a facial twitch, please   |   Did Nietzsche actually say this? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.