Glass Cocktail Shakers
June 15, 2005 6:37 AM   Subscribe

Help me find a good glass cocktail shaker...

I've always had metal cocktail shakers, and sooner or later they all bind up. Here's what I am after:
* a nice, simple cocktail shaker, i.e. no funky ornamentation
* textured glass is okay, but no extra ornamentation (no silly cartoons on the glass, no drink recipes, no pithy text)
* holds at least 16 oz.
* has a nice rubber or silicon seal that the glass rests against (no glass to metal contact)

Atomic Age has the best examples I have seen so far, but I am hoping for a wider variety of choices, especially in clear, non-colored glass.
posted by Irontom to Food & Drink (11 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
Oops - sorry about the formatting. I hit POST by accident before I was ready. Mea Culpa.
posted by Irontom at 6:40 AM on June 15, 2005

I don't want to derail, but I have a question Irontom. When you say I've always had metal cocktail shakers, and sooner or later they all bind up, what exactly do you mean.

I'm new to the world of cocktails. My wife recently bought a cocktail shaker. After a recent dinner party, we went to clean the dishes only to find the lid of the cocktail shaker had adhered to the body. Is this what you mean by "binding up"?

If so: what causes this? Can it be prevented? How do glass cocktail shakers hold up?
posted by jdroth at 7:11 AM on June 15, 2005

jdroth - Yes, that's exactly what I mean, I should have been clearer in my desciption of my problem. I am not sure what causes it, but my suspicion is that it has to do with uneven metal expansion and contraction due to the changing temps. I don't know how to prevent it, and I am tired of dealing with it.

From what I can tell, the good glass shakers have a rubber or silicon gasket that the glass seats into. Thus, it should never have a problem with binding up unless the gasket starts to deteriorate.

There was a similar thread here once (of couse I can't find it now) that talked about using threaded shakers. But the only examples of those I have found are reproductions of very ornate items from the 20's and 30's, and I dont like the way they look.
posted by Irontom at 7:45 AM on June 15, 2005

That's exactly why the metal ones lock up--the bottom and the lid contract differently, and the lid locks to the top. Running it under warm water usually helps a lot.

Regarding the glass shaker, you might also look into the standard setup that most bartenders use--a standard straight-sided pint glass, and those tall metal cups. You mix the drink(s) in the pint glass, and then jam the metal cup upside-down over the top.

You still have to hold both halves together with your hands, but once you start mixing, you get a _lot_ more mixing action (from the much-larger internal space). As the metal cup gets cold, it also pretty much locks to the glass, but all you have to do is hit the lip of the metal cup with the palm of your hand, and it pops right off.

It's not as stylish as the decorated shakers, but it's very practical, and pretty cool in a different way. (Just don't try to get all flair-y and "Cocktail"-y...that's just lame.)
posted by LairBob at 8:38 AM on June 15, 2005

You could get one of those two-part shakers that have a glass and a metal component. Forget what they're called. (I see this is what LairBob recommends.)
posted by kenko at 8:41 AM on June 15, 2005

the sort of shaker lairbob & kenko recommend is often called a "boston shaker"--so a search for that may turn up more options.

what's the reason that a cocktail pitcher is insufficient? is it the lack of bar foam?
posted by crush-onastick at 8:48 AM on June 15, 2005

what's the reason that a cocktail pitcher is insufficient? is it the lack of bar foam?

Shaking cools a drink much faster, with less dilution.
posted by redfoxtail at 9:44 AM on June 15, 2005

Now *this* is my kind of question! I got a lovely one at Crate & Barrel that fits your description exactly. Nice, simple, very sturdy glass bottom; simple metal top with a silicone lining at the rim. Unfortunately it does not appear to be offered anymore, at least on the web site.
posted by matildaben at 11:06 AM on June 15, 2005

IKEA has a nice Boston shaker for cheap. I think it's called Groggy.
posted by smackfu at 11:08 AM on June 15, 2005

Here's a cheap one from big tray, then just add a strainer and any standard pint glass.
posted by rorycberger at 3:27 PM on June 15, 2005

I second smackfu's suggestion-- we just bought the IKEA one as a stopgap shaker and love it. It isn't huge, but it seals beautifully. No strainer, however. But it's also $6 or $7, so I'm not complaining.

I've also seen those same Atomic Age shakers at Whole Foods. You might want to pick them up and see if you like the feel of them before you buy them.
posted by yellowcandy at 4:39 PM on June 15, 2005

« Older Images in Premiere, Flash   |   Where can I find a fitted sheet for an 8" thick... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.