Man with no address seeks Hong Kong bank account that asks no questions
September 14, 2011 9:27 AM   Subscribe

Is it possible to open a bank account in Hong Kong without actually being or residing in Hong Kong?

I may be entitled to some money under Hong Kong's Scheme $6000. However, in order to pick up the money, I need to have a Hong Kong bank account.

Would it be likely that I can open a Hong Kong bank account when I have no documentation or proof that I live in Hong Kong, but just a Permanent ID card? I can state that my address is the same as my parents', but I don't have any official documentation to that effect...
posted by almostwitty to Work & Money (2 answers total)
Check here Scheme 6000 for more information. I know in Canada you just need to open an HK bank account at HSBC or Bank of China to receive the money (after registration). You're not Canadian but some of the q&a on eligibility at the RedFlagDeals forum may help you.
posted by lucia_engel at 9:47 AM on September 14, 2011

I see you're in the UK?

If you're with HSBC Premier Banking, they should be able to open up an HK account for you with seamless links to your UK account. From memory, I think you can do this (for a fee) with even a vanilla HSBC account.
posted by generichuman at 11:23 AM on September 14, 2011

« Older Wordpress theme with custom colors, drop shadow...   |   MetroCard dead drop? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.