Counsel me
March 13, 2011 8:04 AM   Subscribe

Recommendations for marriage counseling in the greater Chapel Hill area. Particularly, therapists that offer a sliding scale.

I think that my 4-year old marriage could benefit from some couples' counseling. The problem is that my husband and I are both doctoral students and really have very little money. I am sincerely hoping that we can find a marriage therapist that can help us, that is also able to offer us a price that we can reasonably afford.

It's very important to me that the therapist hold a PhD, as a lot of the issues in our marriage stem from the combined stress of both pursuing our PhDs.

Also, how does sliding scale therapy work? Do I just call and ask? Does the fee get determined at the first appt? Have you had marriage counseling? Has it helped you? Feel free to reply with any and all anecdotes. Thanks!
posted by sickinthehead to Human Relations (7 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
Do you have health insurance or medical care through your school? Student therapy through your campus health provider is usually dirt cheap or free, so you could look into that.
posted by decathecting at 8:25 AM on March 13, 2011

I don't know how reliable these are, but here's a list of directories for mental health services in the area. That page also has a number you can call for referrals to low-cost services.

Definitely, definitely check out the counseling services at your school--if it's UNC, they can provide you with referrals, and there are a couple of low-cost clinics run through the hospital.

I will try to find some more links for you later; I've got to head out of the house for a while. Good luck!
posted by Fui Non Sum at 9:20 AM on March 13, 2011

If you're willing to reconsider on the PhD part, I know an LCSW who helped me out a lot. MeMail me.
posted by Stewriffic at 9:23 AM on March 13, 2011

Best answer: I got excellent marriage counseling as a doctoral student at UNC. Student health services does cover this.
posted by Tooty McTootsalot at 10:37 AM on March 13, 2011

You might want to reconsider the phd requirement - good therapists are able to work with all sorts of problems they have no personal experience with, which is kind of the point. Much more important to seek out someone with a good reputation with whom you feel confident after a few sessions instead of getting caught up in credentials.
posted by yarly at 11:14 AM on March 13, 2011 [3 favorites]

Seconding yarly.

Also look into therapists with a PsyD. Although PsyD differs from PhD in history, emphasis, and logistics, nevertheless, the right professional with a PsyD would be more than qualified to guide you though whatever concerns you are currently experiencing (and a time/demand requirement for PsyD is same as for PhD).
posted by mooselini at 12:18 PM on March 13, 2011

Response by poster: The PhD requirement is pretty important to me. Thanks for the good advice, everyone!
posted by sickinthehead at 12:35 PM on March 16, 2011

« Older Cheeky Dentist   |   Plaintext for Android? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.