Where to find kinetic art?
May 31, 2010 7:52 PM   Subscribe

Where can I find or purchase mobile or kinetic sculpture, ideally of the kind that is featured about halfway through IRON MAN 2, when Tony Stark is talking to "Pepper" Potts in her office and is distracted by the kinetic art on her desk?
posted by Mr. Justice to Media & Arts (3 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite
It is called a double pendulum and they are pretty crazy. You can make one, Make Magazine has the details.
posted by ChrisHartley at 7:56 PM on May 31, 2010

Not cheap, but Think Geek is selling it.
posted by BiffSlamkovich at 8:06 PM on May 31, 2010 [1 favorite]

The generic term of art for these things is often "executive toy". The canonical example is Newton's cradle. Sharper Image used to be the place to find them until they moved into high-end electronics; I don't know about the current catalog operation (the stores closed, I gather). Typical vendors would be e.g. American Science and Surplus.
posted by dhartung at 10:06 PM on May 31, 2010

« Older Would a plane ticket from Toronto to Beijing cost...   |   Should inheritance be distributed equally between... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.