MVA vs. Tag and Title Service Center?
June 25, 2009 7:12 AM   Subscribe

In Maryland, can a new to MD resident (with an MD license) bring in his out of state vehicle at a registered "Tag and Title" service center as opposed to using the MVA or is that a service only for cars already registered with Maryland?
posted by Loto to Travel & Transportation (5 answers total)
According to the website, you should be able to do that. There's a list of places that do provide the service. I guess not all of the places provide all the services.

I just moved to MD a couple months ago and ended up going to the MVA. Somehow the tag/title places came up in discussion with one of the MVA employees and they said that the surcharge at those places was a lot. He didn't say how much.

Don't forget to get your inspection, otherwise you'll have to get a temporary tag and go back once the car has been inspected.
posted by necessitas at 7:32 AM on June 25, 2009

Ditto the just moved to MD. I was told by MVA employees on the phone that as a new resident I had to register my car at the full MVA the first time. Doesn't mean it's true since they really seemed clueless, but that's what I ended up doing.

Also, I was unaware that registration & car tax in MD is for *TWO* years so be prepared to pay more than in states with yearly registration. I ended up paying almost $500 in fees and taxes for an 11-year old jeep cherokee that cost ~$50 in SC.
posted by anti social order at 8:13 AM on June 25, 2009

On this page, it says you can go to a registered tag and title agent. They might have changed this without updating the website, though.

what anti social order says is true. It's a really expensive process. Between two year registration (that alone close to $200 for me), tax, title fees, inspection, it cost a fortune. $500 sounds about right (not including some minor repairs I needed to pass inspection). Going with the temporary 30 day tag and splitting up the tax/title costs and the inspection/registration costs might help if it's going to be tight, but it will be less convenient.
posted by necessitas at 8:33 AM on June 25, 2009

I'm pretty sure I was told I needed to do it at the MVA, but as anti social order says, I don't know whether this is actually true. If it is the hassle that is the problem, one thing to keep in mind is that, at least at the Baltimore MVA, they have a separate tag & title line, and it often (though not always) moves like a hundred times faster than the licensing line.
posted by advil at 9:05 AM on June 25, 2009

Response by poster: I decided to go to the MVA and four hours later I got my plates!

I asked about this issue to a few people while I was there and everyone answered differently. The info desk said no, a manager said "It depends" and the actual clerk said yes.

Luckily, with very carefully filled out paperwork, I was able to get away with spending just $250 dollars as I was charged the minimum for the excise tax as it was a "gift".
posted by Loto at 11:59 AM on June 25, 2009

« Older Please help me find a laptop   |   Rabbit meat in NYC? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.