Looking for a USB-chargeable bluetooth headset.
November 19, 2008 1:38 PM   Subscribe

Looking for a USB-chargeable bluetooth headset.

It seems like this should be a lot easier than it is. I just want a decent headset that will charge with the same USB cords/chargers I use to charge my phone.

All the ones at the stores I have gone to need a special charger. No thanks; I have too many cords in my bag already.

If you have one you like, I would really appreciate your input. Thanks so much for your help.
posted by mr_felix_t_cat to Technology (9 answers total)
The Motorola headset I have charges with USB, and I'm pretty sure most/all of their other headsets use it too.
posted by niles at 1:54 PM on November 19, 2008

And I forgot the link. This is my headset.
posted by niles at 1:59 PM on November 19, 2008

It would really help if you told us what cord your phone takes .....

My phone (blackberry) takes a Mini USB. My headset (Jabra BT530) takes a Micro USB. "Close enough", sort of, and I use a short adapter to drive them both off the same wall-wart. The BT530 is very good but the speaker is a little quieter than the BT250v it replaced.

A photo of said adapter - cost me a buck or two - http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/1800mobiles_2029_91596290
posted by devbrain at 3:23 PM on November 19, 2008

The Bluespoon AX2, easily had on eBay for $20 or so, charges via its micro USB port - in fact, it doesn't come with a charger, so you must charge it via USB.

It's very small, and I'm so afraid of losing mine that I have several backups just in case I can't find it. It works great, it's unobtrusive in looks, and I love it.
posted by DandyRandy at 3:55 PM on November 19, 2008

The official Sony Playstation 3 headset is actually a good bluetooth cellphone headset and charges via mini-usb.
posted by TimeDoctor at 4:56 PM on November 19, 2008

I am using the PS3 headset with my iPhone, and must agree with the good doctor: works well and yeah, that's a USB connector.

I feel like a Home Shopping Network Whore.
posted by rokusan at 5:46 PM on November 19, 2008

Thanks for the help. My technical deficiencies are showing, as I just don't know the nomenclature of USB micro vs. USB mini vs. USB whatever.

If it helps, my phone is a blackberry and the charger works on it, on my garmin, and my brother's razor. The connector is more or less a tiny little trapezoid with flanges on the long end.

Thanks again for your suggestions.
posted by mr_felix_t_cat at 7:23 PM on November 19, 2008

The blackberry (which I also have) uses mini-USB (the connector on the right), which is also what I use to charge my headset.
posted by niles at 8:52 PM on November 19, 2008

Here's a piece on the various USB connectors.

Note that Micro USB is supposed to be the future standard charging plug for cell phones, etc.

One option might be some sort of dual USB charger, such as this Belkin or this other Belkin. Google for "dual usb charger" or somesuch. In that case, you'll be down to one wall wart, and two USB cables with different tips on them, one Mini and one Micro. There are car/DC versions of dual USB chargers, also.
posted by chengjih at 4:49 AM on November 20, 2008

« Older There has to be someone who wants to work with me!   |   Old Quilt, New Problem Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.