Get my shoes off the floor, please

Please help me find a shoe rack. I can't believe I'm having such a hard time finding one.

I'm looking for a shoe rack to go by my front door. Our footwear ranges from bulky running shoes in men's size 13 to bedroom slippers in children's size 5, and we have a lot of it.

Qualities I'm looking for in a rack:

- available on-line in the US (or in a store in Seattle)
- around 20" tall, 42" wide, and 8" deep (wider and shallower than most racks)
- at least four shelves
- no bench on top
- sturdy
- shelves, not tiny cubbies
- wood would be best
- no tilting cubbies, doors to open, or racks to slide. Just shelves.

I have seen DWR's Side by Side Shoe Rack. It is lovely but expensive, and doesn't hold enough shoes.

We currently have Target's Stacking Shoe Rack for Twenty Pairs of Shoes. It's a cheap piece o' crap and falls apart daily.

I've seen Ikea's Leksvik. It's close, but wider and shorter than I want.

Suggestions?
posted by The corpse in the library to Shopping (6 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

How about this DIY project?

Just tweak it a bit for the size you like.
posted by mrzarquon at 3:27 PM on September 20, 2008

The shoe rack I have from Bed Bath & Beyond is close to this one, which works well for me (and doesn't really fall apart, even after drunkenly stumbling into it and using it as a steadying device).

Bed Bath & Beyond has this rack which is only 3 shelves, but fits most of your requirements (the sides are wood, but the bars where the shoes go are metal). This one is a bit cheaper, but you'd need to buy two of them so you could have the 4 shelves you want. It's also all metal, unfortunately.
posted by sperose at 3:37 PM on September 20, 2008

No great matches, but here are a few with the widest wide dimension I could find (in cubbyless wooden shoe racks):

Container Store expandable shoe rack with foam grips - has bars rather than shelves, but expands to 46" wide; 8-1/2"d x 18" h; 3 shelves, $33

Woodlore modular cedar shoe rack - two shelves, ; 16"H x 10"D x 37-1/2"W ; $45

Gaiam stackable cedar shoe rack - one shelf, 5"H x 38"W x 12"D; $70 for two units
posted by LobsterMitten at 5:18 PM on September 20, 2008

Wow, those are some hard dimensions to find, especially the 8" deep. But the Proman Cedar Expandable 2-tier stacking shoe rack meets them all, once you stack enough of them. You can see a picture of them stacked here. And here it is at another site.
posted by jeri at 6:49 PM on September 20, 2008

I got something similar to that at Fred Meyer, except for the number of shelves. But, there were extra holes for more shelves, and you could probably buy more to add as many as you needed. It was several years ago, and I don't live there anymore, so I can't verify, but it was the one on 85th and Greenwood.
posted by jsmith77 at 9:09 AM on September 21, 2008

They're shorter than what you are looking for, but stackable, so who knows. I bought two on sale online a couple months ago, I'm satisfied: JoS. A. Bank Cedar Shoe Rack.
posted by erikgrande at 7:12 PM on September 21, 2008

« Older PMI permit screwup?   |   Calling all gamers! Newer »