What is this strange building?

What the heck is this building? It's in Los Angeles near where the 101 and 5 freeways meet.
posted by BuddhaInABucket to Grab Bag (2 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

It's "the signature adornment on a new arts-oriented public high school that will cost roughly $230 million".
posted by iconomy at 8:09 PM on August 2, 2008

It's Central Los Angeles High School #9 (High School for the Visual and Performing Arts). The LAUSD has a project page for this school (with images). The architect is Coop Himmelb(l)au, they've got a dozen pages or so on the project, but I can't link to it since it's in flash (go here, click "High School #9", then click "launch project"). The design architect is Karolin Schmidbaur. Artist concept drawings and current construction photos can be found in this thread at the SkyscraperCity forum.
posted by RichardP at 8:55 PM on August 2, 2008

« Older I'm looking for a piece of sof...   |  How much postage do I need?... Newer »