Girl to the North Country
August 1, 2008 9:43 AM Subscribe
Where can I go for an inexpensive, lake-enriched overnight escape from Minneapolis?
posted by lunasol to travel & transportation around Jefferson City, MO (12 answers total) 9 users marked this as a favorite
I'm getting a bit stir-crazy in the Twin Cities, and I'd like to get away for a day or two. Since I have no friends with lake cabins (so sad!), I need to find another way to escape. Here's what I'm looking for:
- Ideally, within a few hours of the Cities.
- Someplace woodsy, near a swimmable lake.
- Quiet is what I'm going for, so no Wisconsin Dells-type family cabin resorts.
- Someplace where I can get a room or small, bare-bones cabin under $100/night. I really don't need anything fancy. Actually, a hostel would be great if there are any that are nice and not in the middle of a town.
- Reasonably close proximity to a nice town would be good, but not necessary.
- Close to some good day hikes.
The idea is that I'd drive up in the early morning one day, spend two days reading, walking and swimming, and come back late on the second day.
I will be most likely doing this trip by myself in two weeks. I'd rather go on a weekend, but I do have some vacation days so I could go in the middle of the week if that would ensure a more peaceful trip.