July 1, 2008 6:05 AM Subscribe
I'm going on a road trip this summer. I have weird fears about being in the middle of nowhere. What can I expect in terms of frequency of rest stops, etc.?
posted by pluckemin to Travel & Transportation (17 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
I'm particularly neurotic about never being too far away from a bathroom, but I also just don't like the idea of being hundreds of miles away from civilization. I think 90 percent of the battle is knowing what to expect, so I can mentally prepare myself (and the other 10 percent is resisting the urge to avoid beverages to the point where I get dehydrated).
We're going from Chicago to the Grand Canyon, traveling primarily on interstates through Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Wyoming, South Dakota, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. Particularly states like NE, WY, and SD I tend to think of as totally desolate (I've never been anywhere between Chicago and California), but on the other hand interstates sound nice and accommodating. So what can I expect? Will there be hundred-mile stretches with no gas stations or rest stops to be found, or is there really nowhere in this country that hasn't been blighted by civilization?