Stained Wood Floor

Cat urine and wood floors? Our cat didn't like our new house and left a mark that burned a spot in our wood floor. Any ideas on how to take the stain up?
posted by Macboy to Home & Garden (9 answers total)

The stain of the wood floor or the stain that the cat left? If you are referring to the mark from the cat's marking, it's probably not a stain. One of my dogs had an infection and was piddling in the house in secluded spots and by the time I found it the urine had eaten the finish and the original stain on the wood. I ended up refinishing the floors completely.
posted by archimago at 5:45 AM on August 3, 2004

I'm sorry - a stain the cat left...
posted by Macboy at 5:57 AM on August 3, 2004

On an untreated floor, cat urine will easily soak into the wood- the ammonia in cat urine has ruined many a wood floor area in an old house I onced lived in.

If the wood is untreated, then you should use Oxi-clean or something oxidizing that will soak and expunge the urine from a porous surface like wood. If the wood is treated, then likely you'll have to clean as much of it as you can, then grab the sander and rub off the urine stain and re-woodstain the floor.
posted by XQUZYPHYR at 6:05 AM on August 3, 2004

You know, I read these catfilter AskMe threads and wonder why anyone would ever bother getting a cat. Or a dog. Or any pet. Or children.

I've never had a cat, but have lived with cats, and I can't think of any stain or odor that's harder to deal with than cat-related stains and odors. XQUZYPHYR probably has it right - you're going to have to put some elbow grease into it, refinishing the floor and all.

Sorry.
posted by rocketman at 7:22 AM on August 3, 2004

I agree Rocketman. I hate cats, but this one was a stray, tired, cold and hungry. My wife burst into tears when I put him back outside. Looking at the stain in our new house, I'm the one crying...
posted by Macboy at 7:27 AM on August 3, 2004

Oh, one other bit of information: do NOT use any cleaner with chlorine bleach to clean up the mess. Cat urine has a high ammonia content- combined with chlorine you will create toxic fumes. (Pet stores warn customers to never clean litter boxes with bleach for this very reason- it can kill the cat)
posted by XQUZYPHYR at 7:35 AM on August 3, 2004

it can kill the cat

Problem solved, Macboy.

(i kid, i kid, i love all animals!!)
posted by archimago at 9:22 AM on August 3, 2004

Not much help but a note that if the floor is oak and the stain has turned black your probably out of luck. The ammonia will have _fumed_ the wood and you'll have to remove a significant depth of material to get rid of it.

On the upside a decent hardwood floor renovation guy can replace just a few boards where the stain is with some taken from a closet or other out of the way location.
posted by Mitheral at 3:38 PM on August 3, 2004

Get rid of the cat. Worst. Pet. Ever. (I know, I grew up with them. Worthless.)
posted by MrAnonymous at 12:26 AM on August 4, 2004

« Older I'm looking after a neighbour'...   |  gadgetfiliter: There seems ... Newer »