Good emulators for OS X Intel?

Please recommend good entertainment console emulators for Mac OS X Intel.

I used to use zsnes, nesticle, ultraHLE, Bleem, etc. a few years ago under DOS and Wintel, but I'm no longer sure what the applications of choice are under OS X Intel.

Please suggest whatever is best from the free/open, and payware sides.

posted by NucleophilicAttack to Computers & Internet (8 answers total) 11 users marked this as a favorite

snes9x is great for SNES
posted by nathan_teske at 7:28 PM on March 11, 2008

You know, gametap.com has a mac player that plays a bunch of b-list games for free. They had Wonderboy in Monsterworld! But I'll second the snex9x for playing SNES titles.

For Genesis titles, Generator is pretty good.
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/7431
posted by SECONDHANDSMOTE at 7:54 PM on March 11, 2008

Nestopia is good for NES games. Get a Wii-mote and download Darwiin Remote and it's just like the real thing, almost. And seconding snes9x. I've been wasting entirely too much time playing Rampart with that the last few days...
posted by jessenoonan at 8:03 PM on March 11, 2008

The stuff Richard Bannister puts out is where most of the quality is.
posted by majick at 8:59 PM on March 11, 2008

Not a console, but there's OSXII for playing old Apple ][ games like Taipan! and Castle Wolfenstein.
posted by blueberry at 9:22 PM on March 11, 2008

Mupen64 (N64 emu) has an OSX port.
posted by blag at 6:38 AM on March 12, 2008

And how could I forget ScummVM?
posted by blag at 6:48 AM on March 12, 2008

Note: Nestopia requires Emulator Enhancer (shareware) in order to utilize USB gamepads. Even then, don't expect any head-to-head USB action as you can only use one USB gamepad at a time.
posted by bryanzera at 7:01 AM on March 12, 2008

« Older Which Chicagoland parking gara...   |  Should I avoid discount camera... Newer »