Create a simple database website (and gather the data)
February 19, 2008 3:46 PM Subscribe
I'm undertaking a personal web development and database building project, but I don't do web development or database building. Please help me assess the best options to have someone else do the work for me. I think the stuff I want is fairly easy, but please tell me what you think.
posted by mtstover to computers & internet (4 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
I want to do a set of three things (in priority order):
1. Have a simple form where users will input information and that will go into a database. Input screens will be 2-3 pages total, and I want to easily play with the forms to test conversion, throughput, etc. A+ answers will let me easily do split A/B testing on the front end.
2. Have a searchable database of contacts, all with the same set of data. Basically contact information, a few links, and some commentary.
3. Have someone scrape a whole bunch of different websites to assemble the initial contact database. (Perl scripting work here probably?)
4. Have a contact entry form that will insert data into the contact database.
5. All of this should be indexible / crawled by google, and of course have the ability to insert ads.
6. Have a non-ugly design.
7. (Optional, at outset) have user ability to comment and "rate" these contacts.
8. (Optional, at outset) create mashup of contact information and google maps.
How best to build this? Hire a rent-a-coder, college student, etc? (If so, how do I go about finding the right person?) Use an off the shelf product and play with it myself? How much should something like this cost? (Would love to hire a Mefite - so bids accepted on Mefimail!) What decisions should I make now that will give me somthing extensible? What are the main technologies that I should look out for? I'm sure many other questions here that I've not thought of -- so fire away! Thanks in advance hive mind!