How to ride a fun MTB trail as a tourist?
January 28, 2008 7:38 AM Subscribe
I'll be visiting SF soon (yay, visiting mefi friends!) and want to go biking on an MTB trail.
I've found a few internet resources on biking around SF but I have a few particular constraints that make me require your help.
posted by jouke to travel & transportation around San Francisco, CA (7 answers total)
- I need to rent an MTB bike that's big, around 23", since I'm 6'6". If possible fitted with SPD pedals.
- I need to get to the MTB trail without use of a car.
- I need to rent the bike near to the trail or take the bike there by public transport if it's far. I'm not sure yet whether I want to ride a bike through SF since I'm from the Netherlands and as a result accustomed to very safe biking conditions.
- I'll be staying in the Bernal Heights neighbourhood of SF if that matters.
- my ideal trail would be physically demanding but technically easy and with beautiful natural surroundings.
- although we say we do mountainbiking in the Netherlands we are pretty impressed if there's a 300 foot difference in height. So it's more hillbiking that we do. Go easy on me on the technicality of the trail.
Oh, and if somebody wants to come with me: great. I'll probably go on a working day but maybe some people have a flexible working schedule.