"If I can make it there..."
January 14, 2008 3:01 PM Subscribe
Is living in New York really
posted by lunasol to travel & transportation around New York, NY (73 answers total) 25 users marked this as a favorite
Lately I've been thinking about finally biting the bullet and moving to NYC, something I've been thinking about doing for years - now I'm feeling spurred on by the fact that I live in DC, which sort of sucks. But New Yorkers are always going on and on about how hard it is to live there. Which makes me wonder: is it REALLY that hard? Or is it just a part of the whole New York thing to make it seem hard?
Factors to consider in my case:
- I have a quite a lot of friends and family in the city (yes, I could ask them, but they either want me to move and so are delightfully biased, or have never really lived anywhere else).
- I don't have a particular affinity for cars, nor do I own one, or want one. In fact, I didn't get my license until I was in my 20s.
- I know it's pricey, but the places I've looked at on Craigslist seem to be similarly priced to where I live in DC.
- I'm an extrovert, crowds energize me.
- New York has a solid job market in my field but not the BEST job market in my field (that would be DC).
- I'm (almost) 30, have a professional degree, no kids or immediate plans for kids.
So, New Yorkers, especially those of you who have lived elsewhere: if it is hard to live in NYC, what makes it so? Is it the cost, or are there other factors as well?