Back to The Grind
January 14, 2008 12:54 AM Subscribe
Every night at 12:10AM, the brand new primary hard drive in my computer begins grinding away for a duration of 10-60 seconds. Why?
posted by Danelope to computers & internet (12 answers total)
1. It's a pronounced sound and fairly loud compared to normal drive seek noise, but doesn't sound mechanically destructive.
2. It occurs every night at 12:10AM on the dot.
3. It occurs regardless of how long the computer's been on.
4. It occurs whether I'm actively using the machine or not.
5. The machine performance seems unaffected by the process.
6. Examing both the running processes via Task Manager and the filesystem activity via sysinternals' Filemon reveals nothing untoward.
7. I don't have any automated tasks (e.g. virus scan, defrag, backup) running at that time.
8. This also occurred on my previous machine using a different operating system (Win2K Pro then; WinXP Pro now) and a different hard drive (though both drives were manufactured by Western Digital.)
Is this some sort of maintenance routine hardwired into the WD firmware? I've been meaning to Ask this question for quite some time, but I've generally forgotten by the time I finished doing whatever was interrupted by the grinding.