Can unpaid XBox Live hurt my credit score?
November 30, 2007 5:15 PM Subscribe
Can Microsoft put anything negative on my credit history if I owe them $8.30 for a month of unpaid Xbox Live Gold membership?
posted by nickerbocker to work & money (15 answers total)
Can MS hurt my credit for unpaid service charges of their XBox Live service? I've given them my full name, phone number, address, and credit card number (now expired). My SSN was not used when I signed up for the service, although I'm sure MS can find it as I use them as an ISP.
It was my understanding that XBox Live Gold was a pre-paid membership and not anything they can bill for. In fact, I have received no physically mailed bills. All that I have received as of now are in console messages, and a service rep that I called who has told me 'I owe them money and that I have received email notifications'. I do not have any email notifications of this in that particular inbox, maybe a spam filter ate it.
Long story short:
* Credit card expired in the beginning of July. MS could not charge me for my Live account in July. Account works fine throughout July and I receive no in game messages that action must be taken.
* In August I cancel my membership and ask the service rep to move my account to Silver level membership before the next billing cycle takes place. No problems from service rep. Everything should be fine, and is throughout August.
* In September I had to move. After moving, I did not have Internet hooked up at home so my XBox 360 was not hooked up to the Internet. I played my games with my profile offline.
* In November, I reconnected the XBox. The XBox persistently asks for a credit card number or else I can't login with my xbox live account. I didn't enter a CC# and did not want to as I thought I was on Silver membership.
* Call support rep. I have an unpaid balance of $8.30 cents. I beg with her to just credit the account, she is persistent at saying no. I get upgraded to Tier 2 support. Again persistent about not crediting my account the $8.30.
* Ok, so I tell her I'll pay the $8.30 if they will re-enable my account in XBox Silver Membership. She tells me I can pay my balance, but my account is no longer available, has been deleted, and can not be restored due to the outstanding balance.
* All my XBox Live Arcade purchases are reverted back into trial. All my Live Marketplace purchases are no longer valid. None of my saved games for any game under my live account are accessible.
* I don't plan to pay them the $8.30.
Can MS hurt my credit at all because of all of this? Should I just pay the $8.30?