Help me with my orientation on whether and how to buy a Macbook Pro 17" high resolution.
I'm a total Apple newbie but otherwise seasoned Wintel/Lintel power user/software developer.
I'm considering buying a Macbook Pro 17"
I'm daunted by the amount of information I will have to sift through to find my bearings in this new universe. Your level headed seasoned advice is highly appreciated.
The information I need most is:
- quality of Macbooks product & Apple support at the moment? Am I starting a few years of flawless execution and great support with a Macbook Pro 17" wide, OS X 10.1.4? Or a long road of trouble? (I've been using a Dell Latitude for the last years and that has been working flawlessly for 2+ yrs, 6+ hrs a day)
- Will I burn myself if I actually put the laptop on my lap? My current laptop has a Pentium M CPU 1.73 GHz. Designed for mobile use and low power consumption. I have no experience with what kind of heat a 2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo generates.
- Compatibility issues between US & EU. I'm planning on buying the macbook in the US and using it here in the continental EU. What problems will I encounter?
-- wrt voltage I think I can just get a different main adapter (voltage transformer). Is that true?
-- Pal/NTSC. Will that bite me in any way? I don't see anything pointing in that direction in the specs but I'm not sure....
-- can one use commodity peripherals (monitor, external usb drives, ...) with a Macbook Pro? Or is Apples strategy hardware locking and do I pledge all my other acquisitions to Apple if I do this?
- I'm told that if I get the US version of the OS X 10.1.4 I still can get localized input. Dutch has some special characters like ë, é, è, à, similar to the way German has the ß or the characters that are used in French spelling. Will that work?
- glossy or antiglare? I have no idea what to prefer.
- what's the best way to get up to speed with system administration issues with OS X 10.1.4? Is there 1 or 2 comprehensive books/sites?
- what's the best way to get up to speed with the application ecosystem on that OS? What open source apps, what shareware, etc.
- What put me off of progressing to Vista: the outrageous use of computer resources for no real discernible benefit to me and the way DRM is built into the OS to provide Microsoft with a media delivery channel monopoly
. Will that be any better with OS X?
In my mind there are no perfect choices between windows/intel, linux/intel & apple/intel. A realistic picture of what to expect and not expect is of most use to me.