I'm planning on building a PVR and need advice on TV card, PC and the PVR software.
I'm planning on building a PVR and have some questions. I have looked in these places.
1. For the TV card I'm looking at Hauppauge
products. I know that PVR-500 is the only card with dual tuners. But what is the difference in other cards. (150, 150MCE, 150LP, 250, 250MCE, 350)
2. Which would be better an Internal card or an external USB device?
3. Which would be better, 2 single tuner cards or one dual tuner card ? (I'm planning on buying used from ebay.)
4. Should I buy NTSC or PAL? (I think USA is NTSC, but anyway I'll ask just to be sure)
5. My TV is a regular Toshiba CRT TV. How do I connect the TV to the PC? This image[http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/6471/pvr500epbgpc7.jpg] of PVR-500 shows Composite Video In [Yellow port] and Audio In [white and Red ports]. I have similar ports in my TV which I use to connect the DVD player.
Can I connect the TV to TV card using these ports [similar to connecting a DVD player]? [I also have a S-Video port in the TV.]
If the TV card doesn't have such A/V ports do I need to buy a VGA card with A/V ports?
If so whenever I change from TV to Video on my TV can I see the computer desktop on my TV?
6. Currently I don't have a PC for this and I'm planning on buying a used one. [Looking for something above 2GHz] Any advise on the PC?
7. I could find a Celleron 500MHz PC for free. Will it do the job? probably not :-)
8. I'm torn between MediaPortal and GB-PVR. Any advice?
9. Planning on using Schedule Direct for TV guide. Any better/free sources?
10. Any advice on plugins for skipping commercials and Intelligent program suggestions.
Any other tips and tricks welcome!
Thanks in advance