Motar Dust on my neighbor's house
August 9, 2007 12:40 PM Subscribe
My chimney was in need of repair so i am having part of it re-built/ new caps and re-tuck pointed. The contractors created a lot of dust grinding out the old motor joints. Some of the dust landed on our neighbor's house and she is complaining about the damage it has caused to her in progress paint job. We are working on a solution, but who is responsible for this? What legal responsibility do i have if she discovers permanent damage in the future? Would the contractors be held responsible after I have paid them?
posted by retro88 to home & garden (7 answers total)
Here is the re-cap:
-Neighbor is painting a newly sided house herself. It is currently partly primed and partly unfinished wood.
-day 1: contractor talks to neighbor about potential dust problem. Talked about postponing work for a month, but neighbor thinks dust on finished paint job would be worse. Both contractor and neighbor put up tarps around work area and on side of house to prevent any problems.
-day 2: Dust generation is more than neighbor expected and ends up getting on house anyway. Contractor works out a solution to pay to pressure wash neighbor’s house to remove dust. Also complaining about good painting days lost due to dust.
-day 3: pressure washer shows up, neighbor "did not see eye to eye" with pressure washer so sent him away. neighbor felt pressure washer did not have an adequate solution to cleaning unfinished wood. I talked with neighbor and she is currently trying to find a different pressure washer that can do the job.
This is where i stand right now. I am confident that we can come to a solution. (I don't think it would be hard to clean mortar dust off a house) and the contractor currently is ok with paying for the solution. I am worried that neighbor might want reimbursement for the partial paint job, or claim there is permanent damage. What can i do more than talking with the neighbor to prevent any legal responsibility in the future? I haven't paid the contractor yet, should i wait till the problem is resolved before I do?