How to effectively organize a Flash Mob?
July 18, 2007 4:43 PM Subscribe
Some friends and I are organizing a flash mob (specifically a bubble-blowing flash mob).
We've done some research online and seen a bunch of clips from around the world but were wondering if anyone out there in MetaFilter land could offer some advice for organizing an event like this -- a flash mob, viral marketing/'street team' campaign or anything you think that may help out!
- Advice for promoting / recruiting people? (We're targeting younger, artsy, college folks mainly through myspace, facebook, email campaigns and friends of friends)
- Advice for locations? (We're aiming at doing it at a local open-air mall/market, which we kinda see they'll probably kick us out for trespassing after the fact, but it'll have happened by then)
- Advice for keeping the cops from shutting us down / arresting us? (IANAL, any out there? Any legal advice? It's a crazy post-911 world and I'd prefer not to get arrested or tasered for blowing bubbles)
- Any advice on how to signal / synchronize everyone on the day/time of the event?
- Anything we may not be thinking of? (This is our first time, so any and all advice is welcome!)