Best free indie games?

I just finished Cave Story and loved every minute of it. What are some other exemplary free indie games?
posted by archagon to Computers & Internet (10 answers total) 57 users marked this as a favorite
Nifflas' Games, home to Knytt and Within a Deep Forest. I haven't played WaDF, but Knytt is pleasing and non-combative, purely an exploratory game. It's fairly short too.
posted by Shecky at 6:10 PM on July 13, 2007

You might enjoy these sites:

Updated nearly daily!! :)
posted by PowerCat at 6:30 PM on July 13, 2007

posted by yeoz at 6:33 PM on July 13, 2007

Seiklus isn't just a great (free) indie game, it's one of my favorite games ever.
posted by aparrish at 6:43 PM on July 13, 2007

Bluewish resurrection is one of my favourite.
It's a SHMUP so it's very hard.
posted by PowerCat at 6:56 PM on July 13, 2007

Try this thread over at The Gamer's Quarter. I haven't perused the thread myself even though I'm a regular, but I would trust their judgment; they're a smart bunch of chaps.
posted by Lockeownzj00 at 8:34 PM on July 13, 2007

"N" is a 'load-runner-esque' platformer. Free, and has some really accomplished level design (I believe the tally is 500 levels, not including the user-created levels that are downloadable from within the client).

It is cross-platform as well, which is a plus from Mac users! (A lot of these indie games seem to be Windows only, unfortunately).

Oh, and I hear it's getting a Nintendo DS port as well! I guess that makes it something of a success story.
posted by ifthe21stcentury at 10:38 PM on July 13, 2007

Cloud is wonderful - nice artsy, anime feel.
posted by jbickers at 6:05 AM on July 14, 2007

every extend (download here) is truly brilliant and quite addicting. especially if you have a nice usb gamepad.

due to its nature, however, the gameplay is much much shorter than the exploration type games mentioned above...

definitely going to be checking out cave story, cloud and most of those others, thanks ppl!
posted by dorian at 9:56 AM on July 14, 2007

seconding every extend
posted by jne1813 at 11:43 PM on July 15, 2007

« Older Anyone have experience with Te...   |  What is a good cookbook for fr... Newer »