Help me explore the infinite abyss and become a more well-rounded, interesting person!
June 17, 2007 11:41 AM Subscribe
Help me break the bread of life and feast on the warm ooey gooey goodness inside.
This summer I’ve set out with the goal of each week finding / experiencing / learning about / having 1 new, awesome experience that I haven’t had before. And I'd like to hear your suggestions/anecdotes/experiences for cool stuff I should do.
posted by jkl345 to Human Relations (30 answers total) 118 users marked this as a favorite
Backstory: I’ve grown tired of the same 4 walls and going to the same parties and same bars with the same people in my spare time. (Don’t get me wrong, I’m not ditching my friends, I just want at least once a week to do something new, something cool, something that I’ll learn and grow from.)
For instance, in these first few weeks I’ve:
- Snorkled and spearfished
- Feng shei-ed my life
- Learned how to open a champagne bottle with a sword (or large butcher knife in my case)
- Learned how to salsa dance (at least the basics)
- Volunteering at a local shelter
- Make sushi by hand
- Successfully organize a flash mob
- Taking a class on orchid growing
So, in general, I’m looking for stuff that is:
* Wacky - What are cool, wacky things I should try out? (I.e. opening a bottle of champagne with a sword)
* Adventurous - What are some adventurous daytrip experiences you’ve had that have been cool/enriching? (I.e. Renting motorcycles and driving down the coast.)
* Personal growth - What has been a great personal experience for you? (I.e. Climbing Mt. Kilomanjaro or screaming into the infinite abyss)
* Educational - What are things that everyone should know/experience/learn in their life? (I.e. Take a tour of the local recycling plant. Even practical things, like, how to tie a Windsor knot. Or how to filet fish.)
All suggestions are welcome!
The adventurous / educational / wacky / personal growth categories were just something I thought up. Cheaper options are generally preferred, but I definitely want to hear about them all! And if your suggestion takes more than a week, that’s cool too. Everything is welcome!
I’m looking to use this as a resource for planning my summer (I’m hoping this summer plan will just become a way of life) and hopefully, it’ll spur some Mefites to go out drink from the cup of life experiencing these things too!
(P.S. I’m in South Florida, if that can add any options.)