Remote Desktop keeps freezing from home to work only
June 7, 2007 8:48 AM Subscribe
Problem: Remote Desktop freezes after the login screen and refuses to allow client to connect to the server computer. This problem only occurs from the home ip to the work ip but not from any other ip address to work.
posted by the_binary_blues to Computers & Internet (12 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
I have a client that has dell p4 Windows XP pro SP2 server on a static DSL IP that they remote access using windows remote desktop from home on their Sony VAIO Intel Centrino Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 and time warner cable high speed. IT has worked for 2 years and it quit working monday. Here is the problem they can no longer remotely access the server from home it will work for any other connection including a twc one but not from home. At home they can remote to test servers I setup at alternate ip addresses but not to test servers at the work ip or even the work server.
Things I have tried:
1. reset of all equipment on both ends
2. Verification of the correct configurations on the routers
3. Checked the MTU settings on both routers 1492
4. Turned off themes and bitmap caching in remote desktop
5. changed the screen resolution to be 800x600 at 256 bit color on the laptop and in remotoe desktop and made the remote server match
6. turnned of the firewalls on the dell and disable norton 2006 on the laptop and all of its features. nothing.
7. DId the obligatory scans for spyware and viruses using hitman pro for spyware and running all of those tools in paid mode. Scaned for Viruses with AVG, Avast and Antivir
8. checked on MS technet they said I needed to upgrade to the newest version of terminal services. I did it did not help.
9. I changed the MTU on both sides to 1492 since that is the suggest from SBC for PPOE dsl connection prior it was 1500 in both locations
10. I installed tightvnc and they still cannot get home access for the computer it will connect, prompt for a password and freeze after 1/2 of the screen is loaded and die which is better than remote desktop that wont even load the screen
::EDIT:: I just tried putting the server in the dmz on the router still no good. I genuinely believe it has something to do with somehting one of the isp's has changed. Nothing new has been installed on the computers in ages other than windows updates.
I found this article and I have a almost the same problem but I cannot get his results
I just don't know what else to do I am working the search engines and not really finding much helpful
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated its killing me here