What should I do with my life?
June 4, 2007 6:20 AM Subscribe
What should I do with my life (career-wise)?
posted by matkline to Work & Money (18 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
I'm a rising Junior in College, and I've known for a while now that I have no idea what I want to do with my life in terms of a job/career. Nothing seems to really fit me. My major is Political Science, but I'm thinking of changing it to Cultural Studies, which is a bit more freeform. I guess the best way to explain this is to talk about the things I've considered doing.
I considered becoming a Political Science Professor. I don't think this will work for the following reasons:
1. I'm lazy in school, and disdain political science - particularly American politics, the more I learn about it.
2. I don't like writing papers in the standard academic format - I prefer more original thought, less citation.
I also considered becoming a lawyer. I think this too is doomed to failure:
1. I have involuntary tremors that would look really bad in court.
2. The amount of work it takes seems inordinate.
3. I don't really want to deal with the loads of grunt work lawyers do: contract law, business law, etc.
Finally, I considered being an English teacher and bumming around Asia. But:
1. I would miss America and miss English speaking friends too much. This is becoming apparent, as I am now in China.
2. There is no way to save enough for retirement in the US.
3. I'm black.