What should the next step be in my career? I'm a techie who has moved into business for purposes of upward career mobility. I've excelled here, but I'm ready for the next step, and I'm not sure what I should be looking for.
The key problem is I have no idea what kinds of jobs would appeal to me, I just know I need change.
I'm going to be 29 in under a week, so I'm several years out of college and have 2 semi-lengthy job experiences since. Here's the synopsis though:
I decided halfway through college, where I majored in Computer Science and Mathematics, that hardcore programming was not for me. I finished my degree anyway, and got a job as a web developer.
After 3 years and becoming incredibly unhappy where I was at career wise, I made a great move to a financial services company.
My time here has been good, and I've received very favorable reviews, been promoted once, etc. Now I'm about on my 3rd year and for various reasons I've decided it's time to seek out the next step in my career.
I've got technical experience/skills and business experience/skills and I'd like to best use this combination to my advantage. My resume
[pops] is relatively up to date for reference.
Miscellaneous useful info:
- I'm interested in managing people (which I believe I'd actually be good at) and/or large projects
- Despite my technical background, I'm known by my coworkers as friendly, outgoing and well spoken - a "people person"
- If location vastly limits things or helps in ideas: I live in Chicago on the northwest side. Downtown would be nice. Suburbs would be less than ideal.
- Given my skills, what kinds of jobs might I be good at?
- How the heck do I guess good keywords / job titles to search for based on the answer to the above?