You say it's your birthday? It's my birthday too yeah...but mine is more important. So help out.
February 20, 2007 2:57 PM Subscribe
I'm turning 35 in Los Angeles next week on Wednesday the 28th. What should I do for my birthday? And if anyone says Karaoke they're gonna have to remove my shoe from their lower intestine.
posted by rileyray3000 to food & drink (11 answers total)
Not that I have anything against karaoke. But I've done it three out of the last five years. And this year I want to do something else. Something memorable. Something...different.
But there are a bunch of caveats so let's just get to them:
1) Numbers. I know a lot of people. I invited 200 people last year. About 60 people showed when all was said and done. We were at a bar called "The Backstage" in Culver City and that seemed a decent sized space (if you know it). I'm inviting a few more this year but figure about 60-70 will come this year. Maybe more. So anywhere I do anything should be able to take on that many folks. AND have reasonable parking for them.
2) Some of my friends are poorer than others. So any 120 dollar hang gliding lessons (Which I looked into) aren't gonna cut it.
3) I don't want another dive bar. I ALWAYS end up at dive bars. I like em, but I think this year I want to shoot for something else. Don't ask me what, I don't know.
4) I don't want to do batting cages, mini golf or rollerskating. I thought about all three and the logistics get really complicated.
5) It's gotta be either on the westside, hollywood or possibly downtown. Anything else is gonna get people lost. Two people are still missing from the last thing I planned in Silverlake. But, again, in any of those areas, decent parking.
6) most important: At least three of my ex girlfriends and my current one are all planning on coming. So I need something with clearly marked and easily accessible exits.
Aside from that (har har - sarcastic laugh not pirate laugh), I'm completely open. And if anyone has any personal connections to places in LA that might want a lot more than the usual business on a wednesday.
Oh...and I need this info like right now. If you don't get an evite out a week ahead of time you might as well just forget it. So hop to it metas. Here's a chance to give me a present a week early and in a way that actually might pay off.